Sunday, August 24, 2008

No Worries

The weather has finally turned sunny and Maine is glorious and warm. We are meandering around from port to port and some close friends came out by boat to join us for an evening in a quiet harbor in Deer Isle. We had just enough time to inspect each others boats, share a drink and some conversation and they were drawn back to shore side commitments made.

For me, that very lack of structure, places that I have to be and duties that I have to carry out has been an enjoyable change. I still make lists of things that I have to do on the boat or things I might want to buy next time we make it to a store, but life is now focused on one (little) 50 foot boat and my family. As long as the anchor is holding, the pantry is stocked with food and water, the family is safe, life is good. And most importantly, we are together as a family. When Emily caught her first fish off the boat, I was glad that I was there to share her surprise and joy take it off the hook for her.

We are carefully hesitant to tell people where we will be at a certain time until we get there. Weather or just a really nice spot that dares us to stay one more day may change our plans and desire to move. Just today we decided to stay put in this nice quiet cove and do some boat maintenance items. I bought a fresh water outlet to install on deck at the bow next to a salt water outlet and it’s been sitting waiting patiently for me to install. Since we have several nice dry days coming up, I will add that fitting and plumb it up properly while Kim does some exterior varnish work. Now when we raise the anchor, we can wash the mud off the chain with salt water and then give the foredeck a nice fresh water rinse too.

Those chores should only take a day or two and Boothbay is just around the corner, so maybe we will sneak over there on Sunday afternoon… just as all the worker bees race back to their jobs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
What an adventure of learning experiences for all of you! I hope you are enjoying life at sea. I would have written sooner but misplaced your business card.

Cindy and I went to Cousin Pam's house to a baby shower for her son Chris and his wife, Gena. They are expecting their first and Pam's first grandchild (can you believe it!?!) in October. They had a nice get-together with about 20 people to include (cousins Barbara up from Florida, Terry, Janet and her daughter-in-law Melissa who is expecting her first in February - then Janet will be a grandmother!)
You take care and keep us posted of your adventures so we can share them with you!
Praying for your safety and fun,
Cousin Bev

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom, Kim, and Emily:
Great fish!! We were on the Points East Fundy Flotilla sailing with friends on Elixir out of the Sheepscot River for 17 days and just got home yesterday. I kept hoping we would pass you going up or catch up coming down. In that fog you couldn't catch up with anything but lobster pots. Hope you continue to enjoy Maine and that we will catch you when you get back to the Mystic area.
Susie and Gene
Evensong

Anonymous said...

Well done Emily!! Reminds me of Laura and her first fish from Uncle Joe's pond

Pat