Thursday, June 28, 2012

Indian Ocean Crossing Completed

After 10 ½ days, our passage from Chagos is over as we dropped our anchor in Madagascar.  For our last 24 hours, we enjoyed a Moderate Gale (Beaufort Force 7) directly on our starboard beam accompanied by 4 meter breaking waves.  Several of the side windows do not seal against horizontal wind, rain and salt spray, so we look forward to sopping up, rinsing the salt out of some cushions and carpet and drying out…What fun!

This passage, with our short passage from the Maldives to Chagos and our crossing from Langkowi, Malaysia to the Maldives represent about 3400 miles under our keel to cross the Indian Ocean.  It is good to have this Ocean behind us.  Like the extraction of all four of my wisdom teeth and my first colonoscopy, this crossing is an event which I do not plan to repeat!

The Indian Ocean is big, mean and full of high winds and rough water.  The first leg of this crossing (without stabilizers) saw furniture walking across the floor and deck boxes ripped out.  The second leg chewed up my coolant pump and sent us limping back to Gan.  This last leg was simply rough and uncomfortable and most critical boat systems functioned better than the crew.  We ran the final 500 miles without running lights and AIS and did not see (nor were seen by) any pirates. 

We are nestled safely in a harbor in the Northwest of Madagascar and finally out of the relentless big, confused seas.  We will change engine oil, fix a few items that were too difficult to sort out on passage and generally rest up.  We will need to meet the local Malagasy people, get some more diesel fuel and fresh fruit and vegetables and hunt for a glimpse of our first Lemurs.  But all that, my Dear readers, will have to wait for tomorrow…

Tom
Posted by SSB

5 comments:

Joseph Lawler said...

Hi, Crew -
Glad you are back on line. For many days, when I tried to open your blog, I got the message, "blog removed". I was a little concerned, but things seem to be back to normal.
You had a tough passage across the Indian Ocean - a good test of ship and crew. It's a relief that you made it OK, and now you can take time to get everything, including yourselves, back in order.
Best to all-
Uncle Joe

Anonymous said...

Tom.
The Blog is back and working. Good job. I too, am glad that the Indian Ocean is behind you, now for the Cape of Good Hope. The prayer are still being sent your way.

Love ya, Mom

S.V. Bristol Rose said...

Hi Tom, Kim, Emily, glad to hear you are at anchor in calmer waters. Trish & Robert & Daisie

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom, Kim, Emily, glad to hear you are at anchor in calmer waters. Trish & Robert & Daisie

Sue M said...

Hi Tom. Kim and Emily!
I am SO SO Glad that you have the Indian ocean behind you! That one has had me worried!!

Just posted Birthday greetings on Facebook and hope you are having a great day.. although it is already tomorrow over there.

I assume you are going around the tip of Africa given your location and the risk of pirates further north. Can small boats go through the Suez?) I know the currents down there are something else. I will continue to keep you in my prayers!!

I have learned my lesson and will COPY off this text before I try to post it and have it all disappear into the ether! I was too frustrated to start over last time I tried to write.

Emily, you have turned into quite the beautiful young woman!! LOVE that photo of you in the bow of the boat. I wish you could give me me 1/16 of that thick hair you have but I am guessing if that were possible your dad would already have dibs on it!

Can't wait for the pics of Madagascar! I saw a documentary on the animals there...creatures that don't live anyplace else!

I retired last Friday. Just finishing my first week as a retired person. I have had a nap most days! Wonder how I managed without one before now.

This has been one amazing adventure you are on! I am glad that you don't plan to do another crossing of the Indian Ocean! That one has had me concerned on your behalf!

Be safe my friends! Hopefully I will now have more time to write as well as read!

HUGS to all!
Sue
p.s. I am going to be a Grandmother next month! :-)